Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Bryce Don't Play Don't Change

This was taken at my library.
There's some IN THE BOAT, just you wait.
(by Fornear Photo)
Soooo this past weekend I went and got married. We crafted it, from beginning to end, to make sure everyone there enjoyed themselves but also were invited into our heads (for better or for worse).

I decided to change my name on all but the most legal sticky stuff (that shizz is so expensive and red-tapey in Wisconsin, y'all), taking my new husband's last name as an extension of my own. This is a deeply personal decision and one that has taken me a long, long, time to make. My final trepidation with the change was whether or not I'd be honoring my feminist views; or, more specifically, if other people thought I was a good feminist. But then I read this post on Offbeat Bride and I felt better about it. After a few days though, I feel like I really made the right decision for me.

As many of you know, however, my last name is the first word of this blog's title. After 3 years, I'm not about to re-brand, so I decided that I'll be keeping it.

Confused?



You shouldn't be. After all, I start my About Me section with "Hi everyone, I'm Bryce."

In that spirit, I'm pretty excited to announce that from now on, in the professional sphere I'll be:

S. Bryce Kozla

...but I'll go by Bryce.

(I even changed it today on my ALA profile so you know it's legit!)

What does this mean for me? You may be asking yourself. Since this blog has nearly always been as much about you and your SLP Pinterest board than it has been about me, let's be real.

It means:
1. From now on, whenever I submit a conference proposal, I'll submit as S. Bryce Kozla. Make sure you come see me! (Until around 2016 I still might show up as Sara Bryce or Sara Bryce Kozla, due to deadlines and existential crises co-submitters like Amy at The Show Me Librarian can tell you all about). Also this'll be my name on conference nametags and stuff.
2. You can keep on calling me what you do now. Sara, Sarabryce, Pegleg (there's still some out there), it's all good. I won't make anyone at my current library call me Bryce (it was always weird to me when teachers would get married halfway through the year and they'd make us call them something else), but wherever I go next, if there's a next, I'll go by Bryce.

Also, if you've been calling me Bryce, or any derivative thereof (Ingrid at The Magpie Librarian has been known to call me "Bryce-y") you're now More Right than other people. Congratulations!

And if you've never called me by name yet: Hi, I'm Bryce.


4 comments:

  1. I shall call you "Sara, my lovely daughter-in-law". Maybe not all that in one mouthful but I love you very much and WELCOME!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember learning Great Aunt Nancy's sons were named Ernie and Bryce. Who would name their kid Bryce Bryce? It never occurred to me their last name wasn't actually Bryce. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy for you! Your joy oozes through the photos (and all the states that separate us). It takes a while but don't worry so much about what others think. Just enjoy your husband's company and feel lucky you found someone who accepts you for yourself. Congrats again.

    ReplyDelete