Friday, July 26, 2013

Egyptian Tomb Raiders at the Library

Source
In true Time Crunch Librarian fashion, I legitimately forgot when my summer programs were until I thought to look because it was June, and oh good, I had this one and another to plan before I left for ALA. Not that I would've had time to plan before that, but there I was. This particular program I planned day-of. And guess what? It was still pretty great.

I was thinking about just rerunning my Egyptology program, BUT(T) I was OUT of Troll dolls. I mean seriously, why did I even agree to do an Egypt program without Trolls?

Undeterred, I soldiered on.

I found this little guy on Pinterest and figured I'd give it a shot. Check out my finished product:



Coworker: "Well I mean, how old was the child who made this?"
Me: "30."
My Pinterest Fail aside, everyone had a good time. Here's what I did:
1. Read "The Scarab's Secret" by Nick Would and explained some things that might have been difficult for the smaller attendees to grasp as I went along; afterward I talked about what mummies' tombs are and why they are filled and decorated.
2. Shared some Ancient Egypt facts, which were from a combination of lists I found on the Internet. I even talked about mummies' curses (and how they were fake, I promise)!
3. Explained the stations and set them loose. The stations were:
-- Making an Indiana Jones hat like the ones at my Monsterology program
--Making the above mummy craft (they never saw what it was supposed to look like)
--Making their mummy's tomb: on a small paper bag, they drew their name in hieroglyphics (printable here) and then drew a few things they'd want to take on Ra's journey if they were mummies. I know, it sounds completely morbid, but these kids were coming to this program because they wanted to learn about dead people, so I was just catering to my audience.

As an added bonus, as they left I gave each family a copy of the Ancient Egyptian game Senet. The top of the page at that link doubles as a game board, and rules are underneath.

Did you run an Ancient Egypt program this summer? What did it entail? Let me know or leave a link in the comments!

1 comment:

  1. The comment under your picture is priceless. I always tell my storytime kids their crafts will turn out ten times better than mine and lo and behold, I am always right. But hey, good effort to us!

    ReplyDelete