Friday, June 29, 2012

Survival of the Fittest, and Astro-pigs

My second Warp Speed! Astro Adventure was based on Mars, taking inspiration from both Marge's SLP pinterest board and the workshop I went to in Madison.

I had 20 attendees total, a little low for the Main library but it WAS extremely hot outside and I probably would have only gotten better numbers if my program took place at the pool or the river.

Like my last program I started with a short read-aloud to set the scene. In fact, the garish drawing on that poster is supposed to be Ricky Ricotta's Mighty Robot. That sound you hear is my artist father cringing 10 hours away.
Here's a breakdown of what we did:




1. Read Chapters 3&4 of "Ricky Ricotta's Mighty Robot vs. The Mecha-Monkeys from Mars": This part is five pages and sets the scene for the program. First, it actually talks about what it's like on Mars: cold, lonely, dry. Then the Mighty Robot sets off to Mars; where, incidentally, our program takes place.

2.Describe to them the choices of stations in detail. Then ask who will go to which one first. THEN let them go. This was especially important since I had mostly 4-8 year olds this time, and they usually want to go first and ask questions later. This gives them goals, at least starting out.

Brett Favre, saving the astro-pigs from certain death.
3. Put on the soundtrack to Monsters v. Aliens and set them loose! I had three "stations" they could choose from: saving Astro-pigs (read: Olivia dolls I found in the basement individually wrapped in plastice-- er, "oxygen bubbles") from Mars (a variation of a blog post I found on Pinterest that now I cannot find. If anyone has the link, hook a sister up!); making a Mars rover; and book check-out. I ended up spending $40 on this program because I definitely needed the robot claws with the ratchet-y sound.We've already got plans to use them again, including but not limited to a Robot Zombie Frankenstein story time. Apparently because our goal as a programming committee is to entertain ourselves and traumatize our child patrons.

As in...
All necessities accounted for!
Pictured on the right is a finished product of a Mars Rover, with hand-shaped oxygen tanks, a food source in the middle, and drills at the bottom. They had lots of craft materials at their disposal, including those weird wooden ships from last year's SLP. Many of the older kids made the rovers so detailed because I challenged them to do so. I found that this works out to make the activity span multiple age groups (the younger ones pretty much made what they wanted, which I didn't mind at all).
 Here's the poster I made detailing their task:



















So that's it for my round of Astro-adventures! Next up: Kid Vid Mondays during July. Stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. I will be stealing this immediately. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem, that's why I'm here :) Love your new avatar by the way!

    ReplyDelete